Delligatti Law

Family Law
In Worthington, Ohio


Call Today

Answers To Family Law Questions

Delligatti Law is a Worthington, Ohio, law office that helps men and women resolve divorce, child custody disputes and other issues in family law.

These issues are subjects many people don’t like to think about until circumstances force them to do so. Unfortunately, when they start to look into the subjects, they may be confused by inaccurate or misleading information. On this Family Law FAQ page, we will answer some frequently asked questions about family law in Ohio.

What Is The Difference Between Divorce And Dissolution?

The two most important legal ways to end a marriage under Ohio law are known as divorce and dissolution. Both achieve the same result, but involve different processes. Under Ohio law, divorce is a type of lawsuit to force an end to a marriage. Dissolution is the process by which a married couple mutually agrees to end their marriage. Dissolution requires the parties to come to an agreement through negotiation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Divorce requires the court to make final decisions about property division, spousal support and child custody. To read more about the advantages and disadvantages of each approach, see our Family Law Services page.

What is Custody?

Where one parent has “sole custody” of a child or children, that parent is designated the “residential parent and legal custodian” and the other parent is designated the “non-residential parent” or the “non-custodial parent.” In this situation, the residential parent and legal custodian makes the day to day decisions concerning the health, education and welfare of the child or children and the non-custodial parent has visitation with the child or children. Parenting schedules very in Ohio Courts, but most default to visits on alternating weekends.

What is Shared Parenting?

Where both parents have the same title “residential parent and legal custodian.” In this situation, both parents share in the day-to-day decisions concerning the health, education and welfare of the child or children. For school district enrollment, one parent is designated as the school placement parent. Parenting schedules provide for an exchange of time between the Parents’ homes that maximizes the time with both Parents and considers the best interests of the child or children. These schedules are tailored to the facts and circumstances of the individual cases.

What Is Alternative Dispute Resolution?

Concerned by the rising costs of going to trial, lawyers, clients, judges and lawmakers have alternative means of resolving disputes. These means are categorized together as alternative dispute resolution, or ADR, and include mediation, arbitration and other means. Mediation is a popular means of resolving disputes in family law.

What Is Mediation?

Mediation is a form of negotiation in which a neutral third party helps two parties come to an agreement to end their legal dispute. The third party is known as the mediator and, unlike a judge or an arbiter, does not make the final decision. Rather, the mediator facilitates the negotiation. The disputing parties are represented by their own attorneys. A successful mediation results in a settlement, which is then certified by a judge.

What Can Be Covered In A Settlement?

Most issues in divorce and dissolution can be resolved in a settlement. These can include division of marital property, such as who gets the house; whether there should be spousal support, or alimony, and how much the obligation should be; and many child custody issues. It should be noted that both parents have rights and obligations regarding their children. Child support — that is, financial assistance from the noncustodial parent to help pay for the raising of the child — generally cannot be negotiated away.

Can A Settlement Be Changed?

People who need to change a settlement or court order can request a modification. For example, when a job loss or other financial setback makes it impossible to live up to the obligations of a spousal or child support order, one can request a temporary or permanent modification. Often, parents request a modification to a child custody and visitation agreement after a job change or a move to a new house makes the old agreement unworkable. Modifications must be approved by the court. A lawyer can help with the negotiation and paperwork.

Get In Touch With Us

Attorney Mike Delligatti has been representing clients for more than 30 years and is certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in Family Relations Law.

If you need an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer for help with Divorce, Dissolution, Child Custody Disputes, Post Decree Modification Actions and other issues in family law, contact our office today. Call 614-398-4159 or send us an email.

Practice Areas

Contact Us